Test your knowledge of the air cargo sector with these 10 simple questions and let’s see how well you know it.
The answers are given at the bottom of the article. You are definitely an air cargo valedictorian if you ace with a score 10/10!
When did cargo planes evolve?
a. 1880s b. 1890s c. 1920s d. 1930s
2. On a cargo aircraft, what is the storage space called where the goods or cargo are kept?
3. Which is the world’s biggest civilian cargo aircraft?
4. Why do freighters have high wing position?
5. Who won the “Air Cargo Handling Agent of the Year” award at the World Air Cargo Awards 2019 held in Munich in June this year?
6. Which airport holds the top spot as the busiest cargo airport?
7. How much did air cargo demand grow in 2018 YOY, measured in freight tonne kilometers (FTKs)
a. -3.5% b. 1% c. 3.5% d. 5%
8. Name the industries using air cargo extensively?
9. What are the prominent factors to consider when choosing an air cargo charter broker?
10. What are the different types of cargo aircraft?
1920s. For military purposes in the World War II. Post war, several other custom-built cargo planes evolved.
The Antonov-225 Mriya with a total airlifted payload of 280 tons. It was built in the Ukrainian SSR within the Soviet
For easier loading and unloading. It allows big size cargo to move beneath the wing, and to bring the fuselage closer to the ground thus facilitating transport without interfering with engines & propellers.
Hong Kong Air Cargo Terminals Limited (Hactl) which is Hong Kong’s largest independent cargo handler. This is their 7th win in the 13 years of the competition.
Hong Kong International Airports (HKG). HKG forecasts its total capacity for cargo and mail to reach approximately 10 million tonnes by 2035, from 5.1 million tonnes in 2018. This is due to increased cross-border e-commerce, high value cargo & enhancing regional services.
3.5%. However, it is noteworthy that freight capacity increased by 5.4% outpacing demand in spite of weakening of global economic activity and consumer confidence at the end of 2018.
Pharma, livestock, electronics, e-commerce, mail services, perishable goods, oil & gas, humanitarian and relief, mining, construction, metals, etc.
In addition to the obvious – their ability to match customer’s requirements to the right aircraft – capability of handling full air freight exports & imports, permits, customs clearance, surface transportation before departure, and arrival & transportation check at airport. In addition, transparency with the customer, service quality and accreditation are key too.
Derivatives of non-cargo aircraft (those that have been converted from airliner to freighter by upgrade/modification), dedicated civilian cargo aircraft (specially designed as a freighter), joint civil-military cargo aircraft (available to military in case of an emergency); and the upcoming unpiloted cargo aircraft (several prototypes are being tested)